The unofficial final election report from the Colorado Secretary of State’s Office shows even worse news for Republicans than initially thought.
Democrat Jared Polis defeated Republican Walker Stapleton in the governor’s race by 10.7 percentage points, well above the 7-point margin touted on election night.
The late boost in Democratic votes was expected because the party’s voters tend to turn in their ballots at the end. But now the wider margins of victory give Democrats more room to claim the contest was a strong endorsement of their agenda.
It’s also more fodder for Republicans to ponder as they look to pick apart what went wrong this cycle.
The numbers are not official until the election is certified Nov. 28, but the results are not expected to significantly change the percentages of victory and defeat for candidates.
Here’s the results:
6th Congressional District race
Attorney general’s race
Secretary of State’s race
Overall voter turnout
- The overall turnout among the 3.9 million registered voters in Colorado was 65.2 percent.
- The turnout by voting-eligible population was 62.7 percent.
- Colorado ranked second in the nation in terms of voting-eligible behind Minnesota at 64.3 percent.
Other statistics to note
- 95 percent of Coloradans voted by mail, and 5 percent voted in person.
- Of the 120,949 Coloradans who voted in person, 91,119 did so on Election Day Nov. 6. Another 452 Coloradans voted provisionally.
More from The Colorado Sun
- Denver school board to parents: It’s important to store guns safely at home
- Five takeaways from Colorado’s 2019-20 student census
- West Slope lawmaker tries to pump the brakes on Colorado wolf reintroduction
- STEM School Highlands Ranch security guard reaches agreement with DA for firing gun, wounding students
- “It’s about democracy” / Lorena Garcia stakes claim in Senate race / Ice-climbing / Stolen-ski scam / NARAL rebrand / New mobile home rules / + more
- Determining how much water Colorado’s snowpack will yield is an inexact science, but researchers persist
- Colorado’s mobile home owners are about to get more leverage in disputes with park owners
- Survey shows overwhelming support for reintroducing wolves in Colorado
- Drew Litton: A mixed bag this week with the Colorado Rockies
- Jim Morrissey: A cone of shame accompanies the Humane Pet Act