The Colorado Sun is growing! Come work for a journalist-owned, independent news outlet that is helping set the narrative in Colorado. Open jobs are listed below, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Open job listings
Director of Membership, Marketing and Audience Development
The Colorado Sun, a nationally recognized leader and award-winning digital news outlet, seeks a mission-driven Membership, Marketing and Audience Director to oversee the expansion and retention of our membership through marketing, outreach, social media initiatives, community engagement, newsletters and data-driven strategic planning.
Colorado is a dynamic, complex state, and we’d like your help as we innovate and continue building our new journalism business model to meet the coverage challenges. The Sun has seen spectacular growth through bootstrap efforts since its launch as a public benefit corporation in 2018, and now it’s time to bring aboard our first Membership, Marketing and Audience Development Director to help us connect our powerful journalism with even more Coloradans. The Sun has built an open-access model with no pay wall, a voluntary tiered membership structure built on mass-audience free newsletters and premium paid newsletters. The Sun has built a loyal, mission-driven audience, reflected in a membership churn rate that is extremely low by industry standards. Unlike legacy media, The Sun does not offer deep discounts to artificially boost membership numbers.
The director will be responsible for the overall health of The Sun’s membership program. The director will work closely with the president and other members of The Sun’s leadership team, including the director of sales. The membership director will use comprehensive data analytics to craft membership initiatives and gauge their effectiveness. The director also will help oversee the membership marketing budget to ensure that funds are well spent and produce measurable results.
The ideal candidate will be entrepreneurial and embrace The Sun’s journalism and mission to ensure Coloradans have access to deeply reported, nonpartisan journalism that helps them understand our state and its people. This person will understand the difference between members who align with our mission and more transactional subscribers and then be able to conceive and execute membership initiatives that recognize those dynamics. This candidate will be as adept at developing partnerships with large institutions to create group memberships as they are at using metrics to understand how to reach individual members through top-of-the-funnel marketing campaigns. This person will bring strong communication skills, an eagerness to collaborate with our team members and the ability to write membership outreach appeals.
The director, in coordination with Sun leadership, will be a key member of our team who manages Sun membership marketing and retention efforts across multiple platforms, including email, social media, paid media and our website.
The ideal candidate will have experience in membership campaigns and audience engagement, marketing and have a thirst to dive into our audience data to better understand how to reach and motivate potential members. Experience with media and fundraising is a plus.
- Meet growth targets for newsletter audience and paying members, as well as retain membership.
- Identify and measure metrics key to conversion success.
- Create new ways to drive and maintain membership growth through engagement, products, experiences, messaging, distribution and marketing.
- Interact with members, either online or in-person.
- Learn and master our membership and subscription tools, including Piano.
- Provide customer service for members who need help. Help troubleshoot member issues.
- Provide timely reports to leadership on membership efforts.
- Work with community partners on annual membership drive initiatives.
- Reports to The Sun’s president and board of directors.
- Ability to manage short- and long-term projects in an environment with shifting deadlines.
- Ability to manage a marketing budget.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong proficiency with computers and cloud-based applications including spreadsheets, word processing and database systems.
- A proven ability to build campaigns for readers that motivate memberships and subscriptions.
- Exceptional organizational skills and a proven ability to work collaboratively with others, including The Sun’s presentation team.
- Knowledge of social media, website and email analytics using tools such as Piano, Parse.ly, Google Analytics and email newsletter platforms.
- Success with and passion for trying new ideas, tools and platforms that lead to connection and growth.
- A strategic understanding of the full customer marketing life cycle, from trial > conversion > purchase/upgrade> retention.
- Familiarity with the effectiveness and efficiency of multiple marketing channels in a marketing plan: paid and earned media, social media, affiliate and partnership marketing.
- A successful track record building consumer revenues for digital content, e-commerce, or related businesses.
- The confidence and experience to play the lead consumer marketing role for an entrepreneurial, collaborative, journalistically-driven news organization.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and training.
Location: This job is based in the Denver area.
Salary: $100,000 to $150,000 depending on experience, plus benefits including access to 401(k) and health, dental and vision insurance. Eligible for performance-based bonuses.
References: References will be required from finalist candidates before an offer is extended.
About The Sun: The Colorado Sun is a well-capitalized, award-winning, online news organization created and owned by some of the state’s most experienced journalists. It produces agenda-setting local journalism that highlights the people, places and issues that make Colorado a great place to live, work and play.
The Sun is a Public Benefit Corporation and an equal opportunity employer that is committed to building a newsroom that reflects the diversity of the community it serves. We welcome applicants from all life experiences and encourage members of traditionally underrepresented backgrounds to apply, including people of color, women, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ people. All qualified candidates will be considered, regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, religion, political affiliation or veteran status.
Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com