Welcome to The Colorado Sun membership page for Frequently Asked Questions. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional help or questions.
Hello Sun members and readers:
We moved our website to a new system on Sept. 1, 2022!
⇨ EVERYONE must create a new password (we didn’t move any passwords out of privacy concerns). Just visit coloradosun.com/account and when the login pops up, press the “forgot password” link and follow instructions. Here’s our FAQ on passwords.
My question isn’t on here. Please ask us: email@example.com. We try to respond within 24 hours.
How to become a Colorado Sun member:
Visit coloradosun.com/join or click “Become a member” on the top right of the page.
- Pick preferred level. See each level’s benefits by pressing the “+ Membership Benefits” underneath each option.
- Add your payment. Remember to include the three-digit CVV code and ZIP code.
- That’s it! You can now go to your account page to adjust your newsletters, change your payment method, adjust your membership level, ask for help and more.
How much does a membership cost?
Glad you asked! Our mission is to provide Colorado with quality local news. We don’t want money to be the reason folks aren’t staying informed. So, our stories and daily newsletter are free. (Psst … you can sign up for those here).
For readers who appreciate our work, we invite you to become a member. That helps us pay our journalists, keeps our news business sustainable and helps us grow. Membership includes access to Premium newsletters where our expert reporters give you the inside track on their beats.
Our membership levels are:
BASIC – $5/month or $60/year. On top of access to our stories and free newsletters (The Sunriser, The Headlines, What’s Working), Basic members do not see membership ads, get event invitations and have a discount on Sun merchandise.
BASIC+ – $11.99/month or $120/year. All the above plus access to our exclusive Colorado Sunday newsletter, which gives you the best in Colorado news at a slower pace with thoughtful articles, unique adventures and a reading list that’s perfect for a Sunday morning.
PREMIUM – $21.99/month or $240/year. All the above plus access to our premium newsletters (The Unaffiliated, The Outsider, The Temperature, Mike Littwin) and full access for a second family member. (Find more details about our newsletters here.)
CHAMPION – $100/month or $1,200/year. All the above, a special gift and VIP access to events.
How do I update my credit card?
Go to your account at coloradosun.com/account and select the “Payment Methods” tab to add, edit or delete a credit card.
If you add a new credit card, please select “Apply this payment method to all active subscriptions” to delete your old payment method.
Please note: If the CVV or zip code has changed, you must use the “Add card” button. Editing the existing card won’t work.
Why are you asking me to pick up the credit card processing fee?
Last year, The Colorado Sun spent more than 5% of its overall membership revenue on credit card processing fees. That’s the equivalent of a reporter or two. Every member who agrees to pay the small processing fee helps us expand our news coverage.
Can I pay by check or an alternative means?
Yes, we take checks. If you mail a check (or use your bank’s bill payment system), please include your email. We’ll contact you after receipt to let you know when we’ve set up your membership account. Our mailing address is:
The Colorado Sun
2101 Arapahoe St.
Denver, CO 80205
We also take one-time payments through PayPal at coloradosun.com/paypal.
For those who’d like to make a tax-deductible donation, we partner with Report For America to invest in young journalists. We currently employ a Report for America photojournalist. Donations through this link help pay her salary.
I need a receipt. How do I get one?
Go to coloradosun.com/account and select the “Transactions” tab. This displays all past purchases. To email your receipt, click on the envelope icon. To download a receipt, click on the down-arrow icon.
How do I adjust auto renewal?
Go to your account at coloradosun.com/account and select the “Memberships” tab. Your active subscriptions will be displayed.
Toggle the “Auto-renew” switch on or off.
How do I upgrade my membership?
Nonmembers who are logged in should visit coloradosun.com/join to become a member.
Existing members can view their upgrade options by going to their account page at coloradosun.com/account. Go to the “Memberships” tab. To the right of your member level, click on the “Upgrade” button. This opens a window that displays your upgrade options.
How do I share my membership?
Good news! We can now allow members to add a partner, and that second account has its own password and newsletter preferences. For now, this feature is only available at our Premium membership level. Basic and Basic+ members can share login credentials, but we ask that you limit this to family members.
If you are a Premium member, add the second account by logging into your account, going into the “Memberships” tab and selecting the “Manage” button. Then pick “Manage shared accounts.”
Tip: The original account holder must select the check mark the appears to the right of the added email.
The recipient will need to create an account. Afterward, they should navigate to the “Membership” tab and select “Redeem.”
How do I get a bulk membership for my business or organization?
Businesses and organizations that wish to support The Sun can now do so with a business membership. This provides multiple premium accounts on one bill. For information, please contact Sylvia Harmon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I cancel my membership?
Membership can be canceled at anytime. Log in to your account, navigate to the “Memberships” tab and select “Manage.” From there, select “Cancel subscription.”
Or, you can toggle off the auto renewal (see above). This effectively ends the membership after the existing term.
You will still have full access till the end of the current monthly or annual term.
Please note: If you cancel, you lose access immediately.
Full refunds can be requested within 24 hours of purchase in the member’s account (under the “Memberships” tab, select “Manage” to see the options). We also provide prorated refunds on request to those unhappy with The Sun’s local news reporting. To request a refund, please contact email@example.com.
How do I log in to The Colorado Sun?
Press the “Login” button on the top right corner of our site. A new window will open. Type your email and password and press the Login button.
If you’re logged in, you’ll see “My Account” and “Log out” in the top right corner.
Free subscribers can log in to manage their free newsletters subscriptions.
Note: If this is the first time you’re logging in, you will need to create a password. Just press the “I forgot my password” in the login window and follow the instructions. We’ll email you a link to create or reset your password.
Why should I log in?
One of the perks of your membership is fewer ads. But you must log in so we know you’re a member.
Logging in also allows you to subscribe to newsletters, update payment information, upgrade your membership, ask for help and more.
You can find your account at coloradosun.com/account.
How do I change my email or password?
Go to your account at coloradosun.com/account. In the “Profile” tab, you can change your email address or password (see image).
Please note: If you are changing your email to one that already exists in our system, you must delete the other one first. If you don’t have access to that other email account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Don’t remember your password? If you haven’t already, log out of your account. As you attempt to log back in, select “I forgot my password.”
Why do I need a password?
We are now requiring all users — even non-members — to create a password to access their account, where they can sign up for newsletters. This helps keep your information secure.
If you’re only casually reading our stories, you don’t need to log in or input a password. But if you’re a member, you’ll want to login to access your reduced-ad experience.
How do I update my account?
Visit the user dashboard at coloradosun.com/account to find the following tabs:
- “Profile” tab to change preferred email or password.
- “Memberships” tab to set automatic renewal, upgrade to a higher level, cancel your membership, see active and expired memberships.
- “Help” tab provides a link to technical support. We’ll respond in this tab.
- “Payment Methods” tab to add or delete a credit card. If you add a new payment, please press “Apply this payment method to all active subscriptions” to delete your old payment method.
- “Transactions” tab displays all purchases and provides an emailed receipt. To request a receipt, press the envelope or down-arrow icons.
- “History” tab shows your transaction history.
Does The Colorado Sun have a mobile app?
Not yet, but one is coming soon. In the meantime, you can set a shortcut to our homepage on your mobile device’s home screen.
Here’s how on an iPhone. And for Android.
How can I get the Sun’s newsletters ?
Newsletters that are available on your plan show up in your account page. Just check the ones you wish to receive. What are they? Glad you asked.
The Sun’s free newsletters:
- The Sunriser: A daily curation of all recent Sun stories, links to our favorite local reads and a heads up on Sun events, specials and other announcements. Sent Monday through Friday around mid-morning, this free roundup will get your day started.
- The Headlines: A list of every story published on The Sun in the past 24 hours. Sent 7 days a week at 6 a.m.
- What’s Working: On Saturday, you’ll get a weekly roundup of the Colorado job market, labor news and the local economy.
The Sun’s paid newsletters (included for Premium members):
- Colorado Sunday, Basic+ level: It’s the weekend, slow down. Every Sunday, we send you thoughtful pieces and give you the inside perspective on our biggest stories. We also share a little bit of Colorado flavor (from food to beer to music and more), gorgeous photos and a curated reading list of the best news of the week. >> Details
- The Unaffiliated, Premium level: Our exclusive politics newsletter gives you the scoop first, plus offers news not found on our site. It’s sent on Tuesdays and Fridays. >> Details
- The Outsider, Premium level: Our exclusive outdoor-industry newsletter gives readers a first peek at stories before they are published. It’s sent Thursdays. >> Details
- The Temperature, Premium level: Our exclusive newsletter covering the intersection of climate and health is crafted by reporters Michael Booth and John Ingold. It’s sent on Wednesdays. >> Sign up
- Mike Littwin, Premium level: Twice a week, readers get access to long-time Colorado columnist Mike Littwin’s pieces before they’re published. >> Details
Why am I not receiving the newsletters?
Not getting a newsletter you signed up for? Here are some common reasons:
- Our newsletters are in your spam folder. Please add email@example.com to your sender list or mark us as “not spam.” Here are instructions on for Gmail, Comcast, Outlook and iCloud.
- You must give us permission to send newsletters to you. Visit your account page and in the “Profile” tab, check “Opt in for email newsletters.”
- You accidentally unsubscribed. To get back on our mailing list, please use this form and your newsletters should restart.
- Corporate or private domains need to whitelist our emails. We use Mailchimp to send our newsletters. If you’ve tried everything else, it could be that your company’s server or firewall is blocking us. Ask the IT department at your company to make sure emails from coloradosun.com are allowed. If not, they will need to “allowlist” our delivery IPs to get that sorted out. Please share this link with them: “How to Allowlist Delivery IP Addresses.”
- It’s us. We do sometimes have technical issues and strive to keep them from affecting our readers. But if you’re missing newsletters, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
My question isn’t on here.
Please ask us: email@example.com. We try to respond within 24 hours.