With Republican Walker Stapleton’s chances of becoming Colorado governor looking increasingly dim, President Donald Trump on Thursday made a second foray into the race — this time attacking Democrat Jared Polis.
“Walker Stapleton will be an extraordinary Governor for the State of Colorado. He is strong, smart, and has been successful at everything he has ever done….,” Trump tweeted. “His opponent, Jared Polis, is weak on crime and weak on borders – could never do the job. Get out and VOTE – Walker has my Complete and Total Endorsement!”
Two new polls released Thursday show Stapleton trailing Polis ahead of Election Day on Tuesday.
One of those surveys, completed by Keating Research, OnSight Public Affairs and Martin Campaigns, showed Trump with a 39 percent favorability rating in Colorado compared to a 59 percent unfavorable rating.
Trump’s get-out-the-vote tweet comes as Colorado Republicans are anxious about what they see as low GOP ballot returns so far ahead of Nov. 6. The president has not campaigned for Stapleton in Colorado.
Democrats were quick to pounce on the Stapleton endorsement — Trump’s second on Twitter in recent weeks.
Polis used the occasion to try and drum up support for his campaign.
“If you want to see (Trump’s) divisive leadership take root here in Colorado, vote for his yes-man Walker Stapleton,” Polis tweeted. “But if you want to take a stand for civility and for protecting our amazing Colorado way of life — sign up to volunteer (for my campaign).”
The Colorado Democratic Party echoed that message.
“We have just six days left to stop Trump yes-man Walker Stapleton from being our governor,” the state’s party said in a response on Twitter.
Polis has been endorsed by former President Barack Obama.
More from The Colorado Sun
- Gov. John Hickenlooper presents his last Colorado budget request
- Colorado’s final election 2018 results are even worse for Republicans
- Excerpt: “The Last Stand of the Pack: Critical Edition” furthers the case for reintroducing wolves in Colorado
- Interview: “The Last Stand of the Pack” co-editor Andrew Gulliford views writing on wolves an “ecological necessity”
- A Crested Butte adventurer is skiing to the South Pole like ice is an endangered species