President Donald Trump waded into the Colorado race for governor early Wednesday, saying in a tweet that Republican candidate Walker Stapleton “has my complete and total endorsement!”
“His credentials and talents are impeccable,” the tweet from Trump said.
Stapleton, Colorado’s treasurer, has aligned himself with Trump on a number of policies. For instance, he has touted how he quickly he embraced the GOP tax cut plan shepherded by the president.
But at times Stapleton has distanced himself from the man himself.
“I’ll work with the White House to make life better for Coloradans, and I’ll take it on an issue-by-issue basis,” he said in the final primary debate. “If something impacts Colorado negatively (or) the economic future of our state, I’ll stand up and let Washington know about it, regardless of who’s in charge.”
A June poll showed that 40 percent of the state’s registered Republicans voting in the primary identified themselves as “Trump Republicans.”
Trump has been traveling around the U.S. to stump for other GOP candidates in the 2018 elections, but has not announced plans to visit Colorado — yet.
Stapleton is running against U.S. Rep. Jared Polis, a Democrat from Boulder, to become the state’s next governor.
Polis has been endorsed by former President Barack Obama. Later this month, U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vermont, is expected to make stops in Boulder and Fort Collins on Polis’ behalf.
More from The Colorado Sun
- New political groups emerge in Colorado’s election 2018 TV advertising battle, explained in graphics
- Denver’s tech ecosystem is a work in progress as companies come and grow — and others get sold
- Walker Stapleton suggests Jared Polis is a socialist ahead of Bernie Sanders’ visit. Here’s how Polis and Sanders compare on the issues.
- After Colorado was hailed as a national model for payday loans, voters will be asked to further limit payday lending
- Colorado has been called the safest place to vote under Republican Wayne Williams’ watch. But Democrat Jena Griswold says things could be better.