Coronavirus deaths among Colorado nursing home and senior care residents continue to rise, reaching 529 through Wednesday.
COVID-19 IN COLORADO
The latest from the coronavirus outbreak in Colorado:
- MAP: Known cases in Colorado.
- TESTING: Here’s where to find a community testing site. The state is now encouraging anyone with symptoms to get tested.
- WRITE ON, COLORADO: Tell us your coronavirus stories.
- STORY: Before protests brought thousands together, data pointed to a possible coronavirus resurgence in Colorado
The fatalities — an increase of about 100 over the number reported a week ago — represent 57% of the 921 total coronavirus fatalities in the state.
Total confirmed and probable infections among nursing home and senior care center residents have passed 2,000, according to data released by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.
There have also been more than 1,400 confirmed or probable cases of the disease among people who work at those facilities. At least one employee has died from coronavirus.
Colorado has been working to slow the impact of the virus on nursing homes and senior care centers by testing asymptomatic staff and enacting new regulations. However, the disease continues to cause serious problems.
The Cherry Creek Nursing Center in Aurora has been the facility hardest hit by the disease. There have been 23 confirmed resident deaths from COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus, and another seven that are suspected to be related to coronavirus.
The facility has 75 suspected or confirmed coronavirus infections among its residents, which is about about half of its population. Forty-nine staff members have either tested positive for the disease or have probable cases.
Centennial Healthcare Center in Greeley has reported 18 deaths among residents with confirmed coronavirus infections. Two more residents died with suspected infections of the disease.
The facility has a total of 46 confirmed or suspected coronavirus cases among its residents. Forty-two staff members have either confirmed or suspected infections of the disease.
Other major outbreaks include 14 deaths at Amberwood Court Rehabilitation in Denver; 12 deaths of residents at Columbine Manor Care Center in Chaffee County; 13 deaths at Julia Temple Health Care in Englewood; and 12 deaths among residents of Laurel Manor in Colorado Springs.
Several food-processing centers were on the outbreak list this week. Those included:
- JBS meat-packing plant in Weld County, 280 cases and seven deaths
- Leprino Foods in Fort Morgan, 83 cases
- Cargill Meat Solutions, Morgan County, 60 cases and one death
- King Soopers Bakery in Denver, 25 cases
- Leprino Foods in Greeley, 24 cases
- Empire Meats, a Denver processing plant, 19 cases
- Custom Made Meals, Adams County, 20 cases
- City Market, Summit County, 14 cases
- Prairie Dog Treats/Antlers, dog food company in Montrose, 13 cases
- Colorado Mushroom Farm, Alamosa, 10 cases
- Aurora Organic Dairy, Weld County, seven cases and one death
- Rocky Mountain Bakehouse, Arapahoe County, five cases
- Brown Dog Pizza, San Miguel County, four cases
Prisons, jails and community corrections facilities on the outbreak list include the Adams Transitional Center, the Douglas County Jail, the Arapahoe Community Treatment Center, Crowley County Correctional Facility, Intervention Community Corrections in Weld County, Jefferson County Detention Facility, the Van Cise-Simonet Detention Center in Denver, Sterling Correctional Facility and the Weld County Jail.
More than 280 Sterling Correctional Facility inmates have tested positive for coronavirus and one has died from the disease. Fifteen staff members have confirmed or suspected coronavirus infections.
Wheat Ridge Regional Center’s Iris House, a Jefferson County group home for people with severe disabilities, had three cases and one death among its residents, as well as seven cases among employees.
Another group home, Sherman House Group Home in Arapahoe County, has four cases among residents and one staff member who is infected, according to the state list.
This is a developing story that will be updated.
Already registered? Log in here to hide these messages.
The latest from The Sun
- Colorado’s Democratic U.S. Senate candidates are set for debates: What questions do you want asked?
- Coronavirus-related deaths among Colorado nursing home residents near 800; third prison inmate dies
- A coronavirus shift to online shopping has helped save some retail sales — and tax revenue — in Colorado
- “My dinner is on the line”: Colorado Supreme Court rules it was OK for judge’s wife to sit on jury
- What you need to know about the ethics complaint against John Hickenlooper, explained in 6 questions