A woman was arrested after her 7-year-old son accidentally shot his younger sister to death after finding an unsecured and loaded shotgun at the family’s home in suburban Denver.
Police in Westminster say the boy found the gun Tuesday morning and shot his 3-year-old sister while playing. The mother, 24-year-old Michaela Dawn Harman, was in the home at the time and has been charged with child abuse resulting in death – criminal negligence.
OUR UNDERWRITERS SUPPORT JOURNALISM. BECOME ONE.
It’s not yet clear if she has an attorney who can speak on her behalf.
The boy and another of his younger siblings are in the temporary care of Jefferson County Human Services.
No other information was released.
Our articles are free to read, but not free to report
Support local journalism around the state.
Become a member of The Colorado Sun today!
The latest from The Sun
- Colorado prisoner dies after having coronavirus-like symptoms
- Landlord who threatened to change rent based on election outcome engaged in voter intimidation, Colorado AG says
- E-bike rules for BLM, Forest Service trails both thrill and rile backcountry users
- Colorado regulators probe why the coal-fired Comanche 3 power plant has been out of service since June
- Abortion-ban measure is one of Colorado’s two most expensive ballot questions and the outcome is too close to call