The new coronavirus has been linked to at least 12 Colorado deaths, health officials announced on Tuesday, as the number of people confirmed and presumed infected by the disease nears 1,000.
COVID-19 IN COLORADO
The latest from the coronavirus outbreak in Colorado:
- MAP: Known cases in Colorado.
- TESTING: Here’s where to find a community testing site. The state is now encouraging anyone with symptoms to get tested.
- STORY: A half-million Coloradans have already signed up for the state’s new coronavirus-tracking notification tool
The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment announced on Tuesday two new deaths in Denver and one in Weld County. Teller County announced that one of its resident who had contracted the disease had also died.
The other death linked to coronavirus that have been publicly identified, in chronological order, include:
- An El Paso County woman in her 80s
- A Weld County man in his 70s
- An El Paso County man in his 60s
- An older resident of Crowley County
- A Vail musician in his 60s
- An El Paso County man in his 70s
- A Weld County woman in her 70s
- A Gunnison County man in his 50s who died earlier this month and had contracted coronavirus
The virus has spread to at least 35 of Colorado’s 64 counties. More than 80 people are hospitalized.
The majority of Colorado’s coronavirus hospitalizations and deaths have been among people above 60 years old. Six of the deaths have been among people ages 70-79.
No one younger than 50 has died in Colorado.
CPDHE also says that seven outbreaks of the virus have been documented in residential and non-hospital health care facilities, such as senior care centers. But the state has declined to identify which facilities are affected.
Updated at 8:40 p.m. on Tuesday, March 24, 2020: This story has been updated with new information from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment about the county of residence of each person who has died from coronavirus.
Our articles are free to read, but not free to report
Support local journalism around the state.
Become a member of The Colorado Sun today!
The latest from The Sun
- Colorado election officials say they’re confident voters will be able to cast their votes safely
- Colorado health officials warn state could reach record coronavirus hospitalizations by Nov. 10
- Why so many Coloradans leave college financial aid on the table — and how to fix that
- Trump officials end gray wolf protections across most of U.S.
- Bodie Hilleke follows family legacy, becoming youngest kayaker to navigate Grand Canyon