PUEBLO — An Aurora man and his son died in a Father’s Day rafting accident on the Arkansas River near Pueblo, officials said.
The Pueblo County Coroner’s Office identified the two victims as 46-year-old Ricardo Valencia Sanchez and 16-year-old Jose Louis Valencia.
They were ejected from the raft on Sunday, police officials said. Strong currents near a dam forced them underwater for several minutes and they became entangled in a rope.
Emergency responders pulled the raft to shore about a mile downstream. They died at the scene and both were wearing life jackets.
A third person in the raft survived.
Our articles are free to read, but not free to report
Support local journalism around the state.
Become a member of The Colorado Sun today!
The latest from The Sun
- Aurora will offer its 4,000 teachers two coronavirus tests a month come fall. Will other school districts follow?
- Telluride Film Festival canceled due to coronavirus
- Trump administration rescinds rule requiring foreign students to attend in-person classes or leave U.S.
- Some Colorado colleges project optimistic student enrollment numbers. But experts remain wary.
- “A big year” for Olathe sweet corn as pickers pluck first ears of the season