I risk a trip
to King Soopers
six feet wary
and swallow the urge
to cough, converse.
A green plant
droops, a shamrock
on clearance. A bargain
at ninety-nine cents.
Moved by the hunger
to heal, my gloved
items and places
it in my cart
beside the bread.
Susan Delaney Spear is an associate professor of English at Colorado Christian University in Lakewood, but for the time being her classes meet in her personal ZOOM room. In 2018, her collection “Beyond All Bearing” was published by Wipf & Stock.
Our articles are free to read, but not free to report
Support local journalism around the state.
Become a member of The Colorado Sun today!
The latest from The Sun
- Colorado federal student aid applications dip during the coronavirus pandemic
- U.S. Supreme Court upholds Colorado’s right to remove “faithless electors” in consequential ruling
- Trains could return to Colorado’s Tennessee Pass, rumble through Leadville under pair of proposals
- Why a global fight over airplane manufacturing is affecting wine lists in Colorado restaurants
- Colorado’s 2015 law changing how officer-involved shootings are reviewed still lets police agencies investigate themselves