I risk a trip
to King Soopers
six feet wary
and swallow the urge
to cough, converse.
A green plant
droops, a shamrock
on clearance. A bargain
at ninety-nine cents.
Moved by the hunger
to heal, my gloved
items and places
it in my cart
beside the bread.
Susan Delaney Spear is an associate professor of English at Colorado Christian University in Lakewood, but for the time being her classes meet in her personal ZOOM room. In 2018, her collection “Beyond All Bearing” was published by Wipf & Stock.
Our articles are free to read, but not free to report
Support local journalism around the state.
Become a member of The Colorado Sun today!
The latest from The Sun
- Colorado governor says he has very mild symptoms after testing positive for coronavirus on Saturday
- CU Boulder struggles to enroll low-income students. That has consequences for Coloradans’ social mobility.
- 52 Catholic priests in Colorado, including iconic Father Woody, abused 212 victims, further investigation finds
- A list of Colorado priests named in the supplemental Catholic church abuse report, where they worked and when
- Reimagining Denver’s Livestock Exchange Building means respecting its distinctive past