I risk a trip
to King Soopers
six feet wary
and swallow the urge
to cough, converse.
A green plant
droops, a shamrock
on clearance. A bargain
at ninety-nine cents.
Moved by the hunger
to heal, my gloved
items and places
it in my cart
beside the bread.
Susan Delaney Spear is an associate professor of English at Colorado Christian University in Lakewood, but for the time being her classes meet in her personal ZOOM room. In 2018, her collection “Beyond All Bearing” was published by Wipf & Stock.
Our articles are free to read, but not free to report
Support local journalism around the state.
Become a member of The Colorado Sun today!
The latest from The Sun
- George Gore’s bloody legacy could soon be erased from Colorado’s mountains, replaced with a nod to the Utes
- John Hickenlooper’s conflicting record and rhetoric on fracking a point of dispute in U.S. Senate race
- Trinidad’s Temple Aaron seemed destined to die. But the 131-year-old Jewish synagogue’s fate was never sealed.
- What’d I Miss?: Grim fairy tale
- Drew Litton: Denver’s got something contagious going around